Holy Name of Mary Parish
The Parish of the Holy Name of Mary is a parish of the Archdiocese of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. The locality of parish is within the Municipality of Hunters Hill. To the north, east and south, it is bounded by the Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers; to the west by Wharf Rd, Batemans Rd, Mars St, Wallace Ave, and Blaxland St.
Hunters Hill was originally part of the parish of Ryde, established in the early 1850s. In 1856 the parish of Ryde was entrusted to the care of the Marist Fathers, a French missionary cong
regation whose members had first come to Hunters Hill in 1847. In 1890 the parish was divided, with the Marists retaining the east, comprising Hunters Hill, Woolwich and Gladesville.
The parish community is a vital Christian community with its life centred on the Sunday celebration of the Eucharist. The vision of the parish is to be a community that is:
- prayerful and worshipping
- inclusive and welcoming
- mutually responsible and caring
- outreaching and missionary.
There are two centres of worship in Hunters Hill, the church of the Holy Name of Mary (often referred to as Villa Maria), 1 Mary St, Hunters Hill, and the church of St Peter Chanel, Futuna St, Hunters Hill on the Woolwich Peninsula. It is here that the community gathers for the central act of worship, the Eucharist, and for the celebration of the other sacraments, as well as for personal prayer. Being impressive sandstone heritage buildings, the churches are also popular for Catholic weddings.